This wonderful and extremely flavorful mix of ginger, turmeric, and pepper is inspired by a traditional Ethiopian stew recipe.
Simple to prepare yet delicious and filling, this is sure to become a staple in your recipe box.
- 1 small onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 pounds of baby red potatoes
- 1 pound of carrots
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Peel & finely chop the onion.
Peel and smash the garlic. Do not dice or mince.
Core and chop the cabbage into bite sized pieces and put aside.
Peel & chop the carrots into 1″ pieces.
Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
Measure out the ginger, tumeric, and pepper and put aside.
Time to cook
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- As soon as the butter is melted, add the onion and salt. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and reduce to medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the onions are turning translucent. probably about another 3 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the spices and stir in thoroughly. Cook for about a minute.
- Add the cabbage and reduce to a medium-low heat. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, until the cabbage begins to wilt. Stir and cover again. cook another 4-5 minutes until the cabbage is well wilted.
- Add 2 cups of water along with the carrots and potatoes. Increase temperature to high and bring to a boil.
- Stir thoroughly and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and let cook about 15 minutes, until all the veggies are tender.